Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Black Bean Soup w/ Chicken



Cook Time: about 25 minutes
Cost: less than $5
Serves: 3-4

When I first started South Beach, I also had just started teaching as a GTA at UD. I used to go to Panera all of the time to get black bean soup because it is so South Beach -friendly. I decided to learn to make it myself and added chicken, so it's more like a black bean - chicken chili.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans of black beans
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • Cumin, Cayenne, and Chili Powder, Salt
  • Sour Cream (optional)
Directions:

Thaw chicken (if already thawed, take 5 min off of cook time), rinse and place on baking sheet. Season with cumin, chili powder, cayenne and salt to taste. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes (or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle when cut).

Empty one can of black beans into soup pot. Rinse the other can before adding. Add 1/2 cup of water. Add cumin, chili powder, and cayenne to taste (probably 3to1 cumin to chili powder and cayenne). Heat on med-med low.

When chicken is done, let it cool. Then dice it and mix it into your soup. Serve in a bowl and top with a dollop of sour cream.

Conclusion:

5/5 Beans the Cat!




This is one of my favorite things to make/eat. Sometimes I eat it with a little chunk of sourdough bread. Super easy to make. I like to make a bunch so that I have left overs because it fills you up without making you feel heavy. However, the beans may make you toot!

Boyfriend says: nothing, because he is at work. But he does love this dish.

No comments: